Thursday, April 06, 2006

Killer on the Dart

Well, maybe not a killer...

I am however reading James Ellroy at the moment, "Killer on the Road". He's a tough read. I read most of the LA Quartet, but eventually had to stop because his writing is just so dark and claustrophobic sometimes that you get swallowed up by it.

However, I was in my local library, when I stumbled across "Killer on the Road" and thought I'd dive in again...

In this book he's writing from the point of view of a serial killer, in fact it takes the form of a confessional / autobiography written from Death Row. It tracks the early years and the starting point of this guy's descent into madness. Once again I find myself tangled up in these incredibly well written but horribly dark thoughts.

So, while sitting on the DART, inevitably it affects your perspective.

You can imagine how the killer lurks, preying, watching, waiting.

And as the DART slices through sleepy suburbs, suddenly, you find yourself peering into people's kitchens, or catching a glimpse of someone busy making breakfast and wondering about the crazy people...

Look there, a flimsy garden fence, half collapsed, a back door ajar, when you see the world with a killer's eyes everything looks a lot less secure...

Maybe I should go back to reading Cecilia Ahern... At least that way I spend DART journeys sleeping...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home