Thursday, March 16, 2006

Oblique

Not everything makes sense the first time you encounter it...

One of the great mysteries to me is how I can hear a song the first time and hate it. Yet, eventually I grow to love it and listen to it over and over again.

It happens regularly, I make snap decisions and get it wrong.

You meet someone and because they look like someone you used to know, someone you disliked... you make a decision, that you won't like this new person...

In the middle ages physiognomy, the shape of faces, gaps between teeth and the shape of noses meant more than they do today... but the fundamentals still apply... "I don't like his nose", "she's got funny coloured eyes" and so on...

Malcolm Gladwell, has written one great book "The Tipping Point" and one slightly less great book called "Blink". In "Blink" he argues that one of humanities greatest gifts is the ability to thin slice an event or a meeting and make an immeadiate and accurate decision.

I don't believe him.

I think we thin slice things and make mistakes all the time.

And if you combine snap decisions and stubbornness, well, that for me, explains a lot about how humanity carries out its daily business...

Sometimes the best things take time. Sometimes things that look great, taste awful. Sometimes a song you hate becomes brilliant.

Life is more complicated than television wants you to think it is.

I say, enjoy complexity - don't ever fear it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home